Skip to content
Join a dynamic conversation about Workforce Skilling and the challenges preparing San Francisco's workforce.
Annelies Goger at the Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program, will present findings on economic impacts of COVID19 through a case study of the hospitality sector. She will discuss what it means to center equity in local efforts to support displaced hospitality workers as they transition into new jobs, with a specific focus on the San Francisco area.
Allyson Knox, Senior Director of Education Policy at Microsoft, will share how increased access to digital skills can support the local economy, and describe the Microsoft Global Skilling Initiative (GSI), a comprehensive approach to digital skilling. Empowering disadvantaged and unemployed residents to learn how to represent themselves online, network, and connect with recruiters is a critical component of GSI, providing better access to "jobs of the future."
This event is a salon-style presentation, panel and conversation focused on Workforce Skilling across the US, presented with a particular focus on San Francisco. It is centered on the recent research on this topic from the Brookings Institution.
- State and local government and education leaders
- Nonprofit and philanthropy sector leaders
- Private sector community members
- Workforce development specialists
Speakers and Panelists:
- 10:00 am - Welcome Remarks
- NPR, Host-At-Large - Elise Hu, Moderator
- Microsoft - Celeste Alleyne, Director Citizenship and Market Development
- San Francisco Chamber of Commerce - Rodney Fong, President and CEO
- 10:10 am - Brookings Research Presentation - Annelies Goger, Brookings Institution
- 10:25 am - Microsoft Skilling Offerings - Allyson Knox, Microsoft CELA
- 10:45 am - Panel Discussion
- 11:15 am - Audience Q&A
- 11:30 am - Closing
President and CEO, SF Chamber of Commerce
Director US Citizenship and Market Development, Microsoft
Senior Director of Education Policy, Microsoft CELA
President and CEO, Goodwill San Francisco, Marin and San Mateo
National Director for AI, Health and Life Sciences, Microsoft
Executive Director - Career Services & Leadership Development, San Francisco State University