Breathe California, Golden Gate
- Health Services
Mission: Through grassroots education, advocacy and services, Breathe California fights lung disease, advocates for clean air, and advances public health in our local communities.
Since 1908, we have addressed the most serious health threats of our time through grassroots programs that empower individual, institutional, and community change for better breathing and healthier living. Environmental education and advocacy for clean air has been a core part of Breathe California’s mission.
• Inspires communities to affect change for improved lung health
• Educates our diverse communities about lung disease & prevention
• Provides support services to assist those living with lung disease
• Advocates for policies that promote clean air and improve public health
• Supports research to find cures, improve treatments, and prevent lung disease
Current Services Include:
• Grassroots Community Advocacy - including smoke-free multi-unit housing & pharmacies, regulation of wood smoke, and the passing of regulations to prevent dirty diesel trucks from polluting our air. In San Francisco we helped pass the Smoke Free Streets ordinance.
• Asthma Management - Our All About Asthma program, offered in both English and Spanish, educates parents and childcare providers on prevention and management of pediatric asthma.
• Reducing tobacco use – providing smoking cessation programs to over 850 teens at 17 high schools & 30+ quit groups of adult smokers annually
Over 75% of our clients come from low-income and communities of color.
Located at Market and Sutter Streets in San Francisco, in the historic Flatiron Building. Montgomery St. BART and Muni Station is just steps away!